Thursday, October 8, 2015

How To: Maintain Fresh Looking Skin During the Winter!

Hello beautifuls! It seems we're coming up on the cooler days now and it's just around the corner. Some of you may be freezing already and some of you (such as myself) are still sweating in the summer heat. Whether the weather in your area has change to cooler temperatures or slowly changing, you should take the time now to prepare your skin for the cooler days ahead!

When it comes to the cooler temperatures, what you consume through eating and drinking and apply to directly to your skin contributes a lot to the health and condition of your skin. This is especially important for those who are sufferers from any skin disorders. 

I've had sensitive skin my entire life; my hands get cracked, dried, and bleed during the winter, my legs get itchy, flaky, and dry, I have terrible allergies to fragrances in many bath products, and it just snow balls during the winter time. Over the past few years, I've discovered a few tips that have helped me and my skin deal with the cooler temperatures!

1. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!

I can't emphasize this enough! 
It doesn't matter if it's freezing out, you have to stay hydrated throughout the day during the cooler weather. Cooler weather has less than humidity and moisture in it, therefore, the cooler air dries out skin. You should at least be consuming eight 8 fl. oz. glasses of water a day to maintain hydration for not only your skin but, the rest of your body as well.

2. Avoid Harsh Fragrances & Detergents

This one took me forever to realize! Throughout the year, my skin gets irritated by strong fragrances and detergents from bath products, laundry detergents, and lotions. But, during the cooler days, it's amplified by dry skin. If you find yourself having irritated, itchy, dry skin, try switching out your great smelling products for some fragrance free products for a few months.

Look for products that are "Hypoallergenic", "Fragrance Free", and/or free of synthetic dyes or fragrances.

3. Maintaining Energy

I know, I know, it's a drag to even get up out of bed during cold mornings And then surviving the rest of the day?! Forget that, I'll just stay in bed! .... Unfortunately, we can't do that. Try avoiding large amounts of caffeine sources from coffee, soda, and energy drinks. It's fine to have your morning coffee and perhaps your afternoon pick up, but anymore than these two, and your asking for dehydration and dull looking skin. Caffeine draws hydration from the body and since your skin highly depends on water, overdosing on caffeine is a disaster for your skin.

Try protein or energy bars. Luna, KIND, and Cliff make amazing snack bars that are great for energy maintenance, snacking in between meals, hunger satisfaction, and they are low-glycemic, meaning they digest slower, giving you longer energy.

I saw a really delicious snack recipe on Aloha.com that is worth trying out! I plan to try it out myself. They are vegan, gluten free, a healthy alternative to snacking on candy bars, and I love having snack bars in my purse for work and on-the-go.

Photo from aloha.com
The more you're able to maintain your energy throughout the day, the better you'll feel and look!



I hope after reading my few tips, that you'll be able to battle these cooler days that are upon us in the months ahead (or current for those of you who are already in cooler weather).



0 comments:

Post a Comment